OpenNTF Alliance Steering Committee
Meeting Minutes: February 9, 2010
Lotusphere 2010
Conference Call

Members: Vince Schuurman (Chairman), Nathan Freeman, Ludwig Nastansky, Justin Hill (absent), John Head, Brent Peters, Scott Johnsen, Bruce Elgort, Corey Davis (absent)

Others Present: Peter Tanner, Niklas Heidloff, Steve Castledine
Meeting called to order at 10:00 pm ET by Vince Schuurman

General Business – Vince Schuurman

Welcome Bruce Elgort and Corey Davis to their first OpenNTF Alliance Steering Committee.

Angus McIntyre has been assigned to another project. Brent will find a replacement for Angus who can fill in when Brent is unavailable.

Chairman Election
The election of the Steering Committee is done by secret ballot by the Steering Committee members.

Nathan Freeman
Bruce Elgort

Votes will be sent to Steve Castledine for tabulation. Votes due by midnight ET, February 22, 2010.

Strategy Working Group – Nathan Freeman

We need an IP Manager for the next 4 months in lieu of Peter Tanner. We are working on this solution, and we are about 1 week away from having a solution.

At a previous meeting, we talked about the idea of how we can include larger projects? The goal is to get more people involved in projects, more buzz, etc. Ideas surfaced including a project for the Discussion Template and a project for Document Libraries. Projects that demonstrate how to use XPages to build applications for mobile devices would seem compelling.

Action: Nathan will schedule the next Strategy Working Group meeting to discuss this issue.

This brings up a broader question. “What is success for OpenNTF? More people? More committers? More projects? Members of the SC need to establish goals for 2010.

General Questions
What do we think we need to get more people involved?
What do OpenNTF members want?
What do developers want?
What do consumers of applications want?

John would like to see case studies where people are using OpenNTF projects in the real world. We can then market those successes.

During 2009, there were 330 releases, 200 of which were from non-IBM.

Create a call (technical and strategy) on what projects we want to move forward. We have not been getting much “community” participation at this point.

IP Working Group - John Head

John will have an IP Working Group meeting Feb 26, 10:00 ET – The number will be posted on the OpenNTF blog and the IP Working Group Forum.

The agenda will include:
Individual membership voting rights
Finding a GPL IP manager
Long term direction around the IP Manager
Legal status - Not for Profit status, etc.

John would like to move to a quarterly IP Working Group conference call. First one will be Feb. 26.

There are costs associated with becoming a non-profit. We need to look at how we are going to obtain revenue to support these on-going costs. The goal is to identify a way to cover the first 18 months of costs before we move forward. The revenue model(s) should take care of ongoing expenses from that point on.

Technical Committee – Nathan Freeman

Action: Nathan will schedule a call to address awards and contests. Solicit additional ideas for contests, awards, etc. See what people have to say, and go from there. We would like to work with IBM on guidelines around the OpenNTF category for the Lotus Awards.

Marketing Working Group – Scott Johnsen

No Update at this time.


Meeting adjourned at 11:00 am ET
Minutes submitted by Scott Johnsen

Next meeting:
Tuesday, February 23, 2009
10:00 am ET

comments powered byDisqus